The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee is being assembled to advance the Academy’s guiding principles of Awareness, Collaboration, and Engagement in physical therapy research. This Committee will empower Academy members to increase accessibility and opportunities in two main areas: 1) post-professional research training, collaboration, and leadership in physical therapy research, and 2) the inclusion of diverse populations in the conduct of research. The Committee shall examine assumptions and actualities, biases and mitigations, and barriers and aids in an effort to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in physical therapy research.
Committee: 6 members, including 1 chair and 1 vice-chair, who report to the Academy Board
Term: rotating 2-4 year term
Time expectancy: This newly established Committee will reach consensus regarding the required time commitments. It is estimated that several 1-2 hour meetings will occur over the course of a year via a web-conference platform, with an in-person meeting annually at CSM.
Fiscal implications: This is a volunteer position.
Requirements of the position:
- A member of Academy of Physical Therapy Research (APTR)
- Desire to work collaboratively with other Academy members, and other stakeholders, to develop initiatives and opportunities that empower members and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in physical therapy research
- Participate in the submission of quarterly reports to the Academy Board
- Chair position – attendance at monthly Academy Board web-conference meetings
If interested, please submit a current CV as well as a brief paragraph discussing 1) your motivation to serve on the Committee and 2) how your talents and interests on the Committee could benefit Academy membership. Please indicate if you are interested in serving in the chair or vice-chair position.
Some questions to consider:
- Why do you want to be a part of the DEI committee?
- How do you see yourself contributing to building a DEI culture with the Academy/PT profession?
- What experience do you have working with DEI issues? What strengths/skills will you bring to the Committee?