The Awards Committee of the Academy of Physical Therapy Research (SOR) is seeking nominations for SOR support for the following APTA national awards:
• Marian Williams Award for Research in Physical Therapy
• Eugene Michels New Investigator Award
• Jules Rothstein Award
• Helen J. Hislop Award
Please send nominations by September 1 to email@example.com.
• John P. Maley Award (Please note that this is a Academy of Physical Therapy Research Award; not to be confused with APTA’s Maley Award). See below for a description of this award.
Please send nominations by December 1 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations must include:
• CV of the candidate
• Preliminary letter of support from the nominator (electronic submissions only)
• Names of others that will provide support letters (if appropriate)
To view descriptions and guidelines of the APTA awards, please visit the Honors and Awards page on the APTA website.
Criteria for Selection
1. Outstanding contributions to leadership in research over a sustained period of time
2. Results of the leadership must be documented
3. Individual must show evidence of sustained contact and interest in research in physical therapy
1. Nomination may be by any member of the Academy of Physical Therapy Research.
2. A letter of nomination for the candidate, a current curriculum vitae, and names of three other persons to be solicited for support letters are to be submitted. These persons shall be able to make judgments about the nominees contribution as a leader in physical therapy research
3. Nominations should be submitted to the Awards Committee of the SOR no later than September 1.
4. The Awards Committee reviews the materials and makes a recommendation to the SOR Executive Committee.
5. The decision of the Executive Committee will be final and the reasons for the decision will not be disclosed. In the case where members of the Awards Committee or the Executive Committee are closely associated with the nominee, those so associated will voluntarily abstain from participating in the review and selection process.
6. A maximum of one award will be given at each Combined Academys Meeting of the APTA.
7. Nominees may have the materials resubmitted in the following year for reconsideration. New materials must be submitted for any subsequent nomination.
Academy of Physical Therapy Research Traveling Fellows Award
The purpose of this program is to facilitate direct interactions between junior and senior investigators. The program will allow up to 3 separate fellows to travel to the lab of their choice. Fellows will be responsible for defining the scope of the work to be completed during their visit. The expectation is that they will participate in structured research experiences designed to meet their specific long-term research program objectives. Awards will be limited to $3,500 per fellow. Applications are due by April 1. This award is open to Academy of Physical Therapy Research members only.
Academy on Research (SOR) Student Travel Award
The Academy on Research (SOR) Student Travel Awards were created to recognize and reward DPT and PTA students who intend to pursue their research interests after graduation. Up to three awards of $500 each will be given for both National Student Conclave and Combined Academys Meeting to subsidize travel and registration costs. Applicants must be Academy on Research members and currently enrolled in a (CAPTE-approved) DPT or PTA program. Highly regarded applicants will have a strong interest and experience with research and evidence based practice along with plans to continue be active in research in their physical therapy career. Preference will be given to applicants with a record of service to the APTA and the community and an appreciation of how attending a national conference will further their education and career path.
The SOR Awards Committee is pleased to announce the recipients of 2019 Traveling Fellows Awards as follows: