The 2019 American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Honors and Awards Program nominations process will open in September 2018. The Awards Committee of the Section on Research (SOR) is seeking nominations to consider for SOR support for the following APTA national awards:
• Marian Williams Award for Research in Physical Therapy
• Eugene Michels New Investigator Award
• Jules Rothstein Award
• Helen J. Hislop Award
• John P. Maley Award (Please note that this is a Section on Research Award; not to be confused with APTA’s Maley award)
Please send nominations to the attention of SOR Awards Committee Chair, Stacey Meardon, PT, PhD, DPT by September 1, 2018 at email@example.com.
Nominations must include:
• CV of the candidate
• Preliminary letter of support from the nominator (electronic submissions only)
• Names of others that will provide support letters (if appropriate)
The SOR Awards Committee will submit recommended SOR nominees for the 2019 awards to the SOR Executive Committee by September 30, 2018. Those nominees endorsed by the SOR Awards Committee will have their nomination packet submitted to APTA by the SOR, including a letter of SOR endorsement from the SOR President.
To view descriptions and guidelines of the APTA awards, please visit the Honors and Awards page on the APTA website.
Criteria for Selection
1. Outstanding contributions to leadership in research over a sustained period of time
2. Results of the leadership must be documented
3. Individual must show evidence of sustained contact and interest in research in physical therapy
1. Nomination may be by any member of the Section on Research.
2. A letter of nomination for the candidate, a current curriculum vitae, and names of three other persons to be solicited for support letters are to be submitted. These persons shall be able to make judgments about the nominees contribution as a leader in physical therapy research
3. Nominations should be submitted to the Awards Committee of the SOR no later than September 1.
4. The Awards Committee reviews the materials and makes a recommendation to the SOR Executive Committee.
5. The decision of the Executive Committee will be final and the reasons for the decision will not be disclosed. In the case where members of the Awards Committee or the Executive Committee are closely associated with the nominee, those so associated will voluntarily abstain from participating in the review and selection process.
6. A maximum of one award will be given at each Combined Sections Meeting of the APTA.
7. Nominees may have the materials resubmitted in the following year for reconsideration. New materials must be submitted for any subsequent nomination.
Section on Research Traveling Fellows Award
The purpose of this program is to facilitate direct interactions between junior and senior investigators. The program will allow up to 3 separate fellows to travel to the lab of their choice. Fellows will be responsible for defining the scope of the work to be completed during their visit. The expectation is that they will participate in structured research experiences designed to meet their specific long-term research program objectives. Awards will be limited to $2,000 per fellow. Applications are due by March 1. This award is open to Section on Research members only.
The SOR Awards Committee is pleased to announce the recipients of 2018 Traveling Fellows Awards as follows:
Janey Prodoehl, PT, PhD, Midwestern University, Downers Grove, IL
Cara Lewis, PT, PhD, Boston University, Boston MA